During 2012/2013 Ports of Stockholm carried out a survey of just over 1600 ferry passengers who visited Stockholm in connection with their journey.
Every year more than 11 million passengers travel via a Ports of Stockholm port. All of the Ports of Stockholm terminals that handle passenger traffic were included in the survey. Six destinations could be identified in the survey; Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Russia and Gotland.
The results showed, among other things, that:
- The ferry passengers who visit Stockholm contribute direct consumer spending to the County of Stockholm of SEK 5000 million.
- In total around 1.7 million adult ferry passengers visit Stockholm over the course of a year.
- Every visitor spends an average of SEK 3000 per visit.
- This adds up to SEK 5000 million, which is 19 percent of the entire County of Stockholm tourist industry revenue.
- The consumer spending by visitors to Stockholm generates 4100 full-time equivalent employment positions annually in the County of Stockholm.
- The ferry passengers who visit Stockholm fill 360 000 hotel rooms during the year. This is the equivalent of 1000 hotel rooms every day, or 7 fully booked hotels every day of the year.
- As many as 95 percent of the visitors are satisfied with their visit to Stockholm.
- As many as 75 percent of the visitors intend to visit Stockholm again.
- The main purpose of the journey is to relax and enjoy their time aboard the ferry for 41 percent of the ferry passengers who visit Stockholm.